BI Publisher, or to use its full name, Oracle Business Intelligence Publisher, is a strategic enterprise reporting product that provides the ability to create and manage highly formatted reports from a wide range of data sources. You can design the layout of your BI Publisher reports using Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat then create the reports from different types of data sources.
EM12c is integrated with BI Publisher 11g. Oracle recommends using BI Publisher to create reports for Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c. Release 11g of BI Publisher includes the Data Model Editor, which is a graphical user interface for building data models within the BI Publisher interface, and the Layout Editor, which is a design tool that enables you to create report layouts within BI Publisher.
There are a number of different resources you can use for BI Publisher. These include:
- Configuring Highly Available BI Publisher in EM 126.96.36.199 – this is a post I wrote some time back that shows you how to configure multiple BI Publishers in a multi-OMS environment.
- Granting Access to BI Publisher in EM 188.8.131.52 – another post I wrote a while back on the way you give EM administrators access to BI Publisher
- Creating a BI Publisher Report – This EM12c demonstration shows you how to create a simple report in BI Publisher on tablespaces in managed databases, and illustrates that BI Publisher honours each user’s target privileges as defined in Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c.
- Creating a BI Publisher Report in EM13c – The EM13c version of the previous link
- Implementing the BI Publisher Security Model – This EM12c demonstration explains the BI Publisher security model for Enterprise Manager Cloud Control, and shows you how to implement that model with your Cloud Control users.
- What’s New in BIP for EM13c and How To Setup BIP Security – Covers new features in BI Publisher for EM13c, as well as the 13c version of the last link
- BI Publisher on OTN – the OTN page for BI Publisher. Note this is for BIP generically, not in the EM12c environment
- BI Publisher blog – again, this is for BIP generically, not in the EM12c environment
- BI Publisher Tips and Techniques – a blog post I created on a variety of tips and techniques for using BI Publisher.
- A useful support note on lots of BI Publisher stuff in EM, cunningly disguised under the title BI Publisher Integration in EM12c.
- A post I did on a particular customer’s recovery scenario.
- A blog post I wrote on selecting data from the repository which introduces you to some of the locations you can find information on the views you may want to access with BI Publisher.
I’ve also started posting some FAQ’s for BI Publisher, which I’ll gradually add more to over time:
- BI Publisher Reports Internet Explorer 11 issue
- How do I disable BI Publisher?
- How to fix BIP not starting after abrupt system failure?
- Is there a way to backup the BI reports in EM?
These can all be found on my Tips and Techniques page.
Of course, Enterprise Manager has been providing another reporting tool for many years, Information Publisher. However, that tool has been deprecated with EM12c and no further enhancements will be made to it. As yet, there is no date for the actual desupport of the tool, but you should write any new reports with BIP rather than Information Publisher.